Tuesday, December 29, 2009

We hope you had a Merry Christmas

We definitely had a Merry Christmas. Santa brought us a dresser, which matches our canopy bed nicely.

Dad and Edie found us an antique secretary, which is beautiful. The history behind this piece of furniture is very intriguing.  Brad, I'm sure, will include this in his book (that he is planning to write one day).

The puppies had a great time opening tearing into their toys.

I hope Santa brought you what you wanted. If not, I'm sure it is being saved for your Birthday.

So, since it has been quite chilly here and Brad comes home cold almost every night, I have decided to make soup once or twice a week. I'm not much of a recipe follower, but Brad gave me a book of 500 soup recipes. So, I took the hint and started making soups.

I made regular old butternut squash soup, which turns out different every time, but Brad swears it is his favorite, next to Manhattan Clam Chowder (the red kind).  I also tried out one of the recipes in the new book. It started quite simple, but seemed a little boring. But, after I added about 6 other ingredients it was fantastic.
Here's my recipe:

Cream of Chicken & Saffron Soup

2 Tbsp. olive oil
1 large yellow (sweet) onion, finely chopped
2 garlic cloves, crushed
28 oz. boneless chicken, cooked, diced into bite size pieces
4 cups chicken broth/stock
1 cup white wine
a good pinch of saffron threads
1 cup of cream or half & half
2 cups cooked whole grain brown rice
carton of bella mushrooms, sliced
cayenne pepper
salt & pepper
Tony's Creole Seasoning
chopped chives

Saute onion, mushrooms, and garlic in olive oil. Add chicken, stock, cooked rice, and wine, and bring to a boil. Reduce heat, cover, and simmer for 5 minutes. Stir in the saffron and cook for 1 minute.
Season with salt, pepper, cayenne, and Tony's to your liking.

Remove from heat, stir in cream.
Sprinkle with chives

Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment